This session is part of a set of training sessions on pupil mental health. We recommend you start with our session on deepening understanding of pupil mental health, then deliver the sessions on specific issues. The other specific issues we have training sessions on are:
In this session, staff will learn:
- What depression and low mood are, and how they go beyond a 'bad mood'
- How to spot potential signs of depression
- How to talk confidently to a child about their concerns, so the child knows they're not alone, and how to help the child find ways to cope
What's in this training session?
Developed with the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families, this training session includes:
- A ready-to-deliver PowerPoint presentation you can adapt to suit your school
- Step-by-step facilitator notes
- Activities to help staff put what they're learning into practice and encourage group discussion
- Video – to explain how depression can affect a child's daily life
- Answers to common questions, to help you prepare for questions your staff may have
- Staff factsheet, which summarises key information staff need to know
We developed these resources with the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families.