A gang is typically a noticeable group of individuals that spends time in public and engages in criminal activity and violence. The group may also be territorial or in conflict with other gangs.
Young people involved in gangs have an increased risk of experiencing violence and other types of abuse. Gang crime and serious youth violence is also often synonymous with knife crime.
It is illegal to carry knives and prohibited firearms to use as weapons. A longer sentence may be served if an offender was or is part of a gang.
Want to see more?
- 3,500+ online articles, with information and resources on all aspects of school leadership
- 1,000+ examples of policies from schools and other organisations
- Downloadable template forms and reports,
- Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
- Help with preparing for Ofsted inspections
- A weekly News Briefing