A forced marriage is a marriage in which “one or both spouses do not consent to the marriage but are coerced into it”.
Coercion can include “physical, psychological, financial, sexual and emotional pressure. In the cases of some vulnerable adults who lack the capacity to consent, coercion is not required for a marriage to be forced”.
It is recognised as a form of abuse in the UK.
Want to see more?
- 3,500+ online articles, with information and resources on all aspects of school leadership
- 1,000+ examples of policies from schools and other organisations
- Downloadable template forms and reports,
- Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
- Help with preparing for Ofsted inspections
- A weekly News Briefing