Share this factsheet with staff to raise awareness of this issue and what to do about missing children or adults.
If you're using it at a staff meeting, use the following questions for a discussion:
- What opportunities do our pupils have to talk to us about problems they are experiencing at home?
- How long should we search for a pupil who we think has gone missing?
- Can you think of pupils who you would consider to be at risk based on the factors shared in this factsheet?
- How would we find out that an adult close to a pupil has gone missing?
- What might prevent our swift reporting of a child’s absence? Is there anything we should do to improve our systems or to change our attitudes in relation to these hindrances?
- How do we minimise the risk of pupils being abducted?
- Which other areas of safeguarding does this topic overlap with?